Saturday, November 27, 2010

My Latest Obsession: Felt Foods

Okay, so I'm not a fan of eating that much meat anymore, but lets face it, since I didn't grow up a vegan, I have weaknesses and raw fish like sushi and ceviche are a few things I've had to sneak into my diet here and there. And so every now and then, I give my kids some sushi. It's still kind of raw. Okay, not really, but isn't this toy cute? So when I came across these felt foods for the kids to play with, I decided I needed some. I found a few cute ones at ikea that have bananas that you can velcro into place and then peel. I did purchase some of these on impulse. But a lot of the other ones are things like eggs and sausage and hamburgers and pizza. Since in our family we don't really eat these things all that much, it wouldn't make sense to get those for my kids to play with. But I've decided that felt foods are too cute not to try and make some of these myself. I could make felt squash and zuchini if I want and other foods that aren't so common to the processed food world. Some that I think would be fun would be felt apple slices, felt grapes with velcro to stick them to each other and pick them off, and felt papaya. I already have some ideas of how to make them. But if anyone knows of any tutorials that are helpful, I really want to make some of these for my little girl for Christmas.

Isn't this the most awesome felt sandwich? I also want to make sprouts because my kids love their sprout sandwiches. I don't know exactly how to make that but I'll get creative I guess. What do you think?

4 comments:

Kira said...

You're so creative, I love how cute the little sandwich is!
Play food does always seem to be hamburgers, pizza and hotdogs, so what a great way to help your family be healthy.

April said...

Fun. I love toys for kids that aren't plastic and that they can use their imaginations with. Cute.

Ligia said...

April, we should get together and try some.

Palmyra said...

That is cute!

You know, I have noticed that when I eat good, have enough sleep, and just take care of myself, my migraines are far and in between. I started having them from a head injury I had as a child.
I think my blog doesn't update because its private now. And I am honored. Tell Alex that he has excellent taste. ;)

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer